This is something we posted at CrossInternational.City Church Connect. As we've watched Hurricane Earl sweep through the Caribbean, Central America, and southern Mexico, colleagues from Cross International have been on the ground in Belize connecting with ministry partners and coordinating relief efforts. Keep up to date here.
Like on Facebook.
Follow on Twitter and Instagram
Since we first asked for your prayers, Cross mobilized a team to connect with our long-term partners in Belize to survey Hurricane Earl disaster relief needs. In advance of this trip, we’ve ordered 15 pallets of prepositioned Vitafood and 19 Medical Missions Packs that will be airlifted later this week.
As our team drives around Belize City, the hired cab had to avoid the tin sheets and thatched roofs - the items that many houses are constructed from - that were scattered everywhere. All visible evidence of damage point to winds in excess of 100 MPH rather than the 80 MPH wind gusts reported in the news. Belize City is situated at and below sea level (in some places) where storm surge was well over six feet.
In addition to the visible evidence of wind damage, the odor of sewage in hurricane-borne water was overwhelming. Sanitation problems are everywhere including at a Cross International partner school that has been commandeered by local authorities as an evacuation center. Even the hotel our team is staying in has no water due to post-hurricane disruption.
We are very thankful that our ministry partners in Belize are collaborating with us to distribute emergency food and medical supplies in coming days. As stated above, 15 Medical Missions packs containing 5,700 treatments are being airlifted this week. Pray that the Lord goes before us as we plan through the logistics of emergency food and medical distributions.
What follows is the general composition of a Medical Missions pack:
- Aspirin 325mg 500tab
- Oral Rehydration Salts 1scht
- Multi-Vitamins + Iron, Children's Chewable, Animal Shapes 250tab
- Cephalexin 250mg 500cap
- Acetaminophen 500mg, 1,000cap
- Amoxicillin 250mg 100cap
- Amoxicillin Powder for Oral Suspension 125mg/5ml 80ml
- Acetaminophen 160mg/5ml, Children's 118ml
- Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% 85gm
- Hydrocortisone 1% Cream, Maximum Strength Anti-Itch with Aloe 28gm
- Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.025% Cream 15gm
- Cefuroxime Axetil 125mg/5ml Oral Suspension
- Ceftin 100ml Multivitamin, Performance Multi Energy Formula 300tab
- Vitamin D3 Baby Drops 400iu 15ml
- Imodium A-D Loperamide HCI 2mg, Anti-Diarrheal 24cap
- Dextromethorphan HBr 15mg
- Robitussin Adult Cold Cough Liqui-Gels Ibuprofen 200mg
- Advil 200mg 50tab
- Ibuprofen 50mg/1.25ml
- Infant's Advil Concentrated Drops 15ml
- Multivitamin, Women's Prenatal 180cap